Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas C64 Style!

Ah, Christmas.  I love Christmas.  I'm a child at heart and a total kid when it comes to Christmas.  I love everything about it.  I love the tree, the decorations, the music and the movies.  Everything.  When I was a kid we had a Commodore 64 (as I'm sure you are more than likely aware, if you read this.).  Back in those days the internet was not in existence.  There were BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems) though.  I'm going to assume that you guys know what a BBS is, since you're reading this blog.

Uploading/Downloading from a BBS took FOREVER, so more often than not, my Dad would trade software with friends from work.  This is where I got the majority of my new games and such.  One such trade took place around the holidays circa 1986 or so.  One of the disks that my Dad copied off of a friend had some various "software demos" on it, including a Christmas music/graphics demo.  It became a family tradition to gather around the 12" computer monitor and watch 8-Bit Christmas music videos.  After the first video collection, somehow more found their way into our collection.\

Here, for your enjoyment, are the videos that we used to watch on those holidays of yore.  I hope that you find these as warm and nostalgic as I do!  If anyone has any fond C64 Christmas memories, please feel free to share them in the comments!

So here's the first Collection that my Dad had gotten:


Now remember, this was back in the 80's and as far as home computers were concerned, this was state of the art technology!  We thought this was the most awesome thing in the universe!  I must have watched this about 8 trillion times that Christmas. 

The next year, Dad got ahold of a couple more Christmas programs....my favorite being The Jingle Disk - A C64 Christmas.  Check it out:



Then there was also the C64 Christmas Demo, which was cool, but not as cool as the Jingle Disk!



There were also some pretty cool Christmas themed C64 Games that I would play non-stop during holiday seasons.  Stay tuned for a rundown on those!

I hope that my little nostalgic trip to the pixelated Christmases of yesteryear helps to enhance your enjoyment of this holiday season!  

No comments:

Post a Comment