Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Night OST Party!!

Well, it's Sunday night, the wife is flipping channel's and sorta watching the Golden Globes....so I thought what the hell....now is a good time to share some of my favorite film& TV scores!  I know....random, right?

Let's get to it!  First up!  The Last Starfighter.  I love this film.  Every time I watch it, I kinda get the warm fuzzies.  Just mentioning the film makes me think of Friday nights of my childhood....watching my weekly rental and chowing down on frozen pizza or my beloved pizza rolls.  Ah....pizza rolls.  I love you so much.
Anyway, the main theme music to the film has always had that certain something to it.  The perfect marriage of grandeur and epic adventure.  It makes you wish that you could join the Rylan Star League in protecting the Frontier from the evil Ko-Dan Empire!



Next up is another 80's classic that really stuck with me through out my life.  To this day you can find me humming or whistling this song now and then.  Of course it is the theme to Back To The Future!  Yep.  If I ever get a chance to travel in a time machine, you can bet that I'm gonna have my iPod loaded up with this song ready to go!  Anytime there are ANY of the Back to the Future films on TV, I HAVE to watch them. I've watched Back to the Future Part II three times this week alone, simply because it's currently in rotation on one of the Cinemax channels!  Not only are these films fantastic, but also introduced me to the greatness that is Huey Lewis & The News.  "I'm sorry guys.....you're just too darn loud!".


Greatest am hero.jpgMoving into the realm of TV songs that get stuck in my noggin all the time, we've gotta go with an old childhood favorite:  The Greatest American Hero.  This is one of those songs that a lot of people seem to know, but they don't know where it's from.  At least, that's what I find in my experience.  Even more so, a lot of people don't know that it's more than just a TV theme song....but it's actually an entire song....not just a one minute theme.  They used to do stuff like that back in the day....they'd actually write full songs for shows!  Cool, huh?  Now, check this out.....it'll surely get stuck in your head.


If that don't make ya wax nostalgic for some good old fashioned 80's TV, I don't know what will.  Maybe some awesome 80's cartoons?  Hhhhmmmm....I may have just the thing!  I've always loved cartoons, and though I was a bit older when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was on, I couldn't resist watching the radical foursome take on the Shredder and Krang!  Oh man Krang was so awesome.  For those who may not know....Krang was an evil alien brain that hung out in an android body.  The cool part was that he hung out in the androids abdomen!



Super Mario Bros Super Show Title.PNGOhhh....you know while I've got cartoons on the brain,  another theme song comes to mind.  It brought together two of my favorite things.....cartoons and video games!  Of course I'm talking about the Super Mario Bros Super Show!  The great thing about the SMBSS is that there were actually TWO songs.  The rap at the beginning and then "Captain" Lou Albano....um....singing "Do The Mario!".  They are absolutely hilarious to watch now and they really are pretty terrible, but damn if they don't get stuck in my head for days at a time sometimes!


Yep, I just hit you with a double dose of Mario Bros.  You're welcome.

Well, I think that's a good place to leave it now because as my brain churns, I think of more and more shows, cartoons and movies that I loved and the music that went with them.  So I think that here is a pretty good place to stop before the article goes nuts!  I dunno if anyone even reads these, but if you do....I thank you and I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing it.

Peace out home skillets!

No comments:

Post a Comment