Sunday, June 2, 2013

Creepy Alien/UFO TV Shows

I'm completely obsessed with tv shows about UFOs and aliens.  I can't get enough of them.  It started way back when I used to watch Unsolved Mysteries with my mother when I was a kid.  The UFO stories always freaked me the hell out.  It wasn't enough just to watch them on TV, but I also had to read everything I could possibly find about UFO's from our public library.  I can still remember hot summer nights, reading about police officer Lonnie Zamora, who had an encounter with an other worldly craft in Socorro, NM in 1964.  I was absolutely terrified after reading about the disappearance of Travis Walton in 1975 (and then when the film based on his story, called Fire in the Sky, came out in 1993 I don't think I slept for a week.).

So, I thought it would be fun to count down some of my absolute favorite (read personally psychologically disturbing) Alien/UFO moments on TV!

Here we go!

#10) The Alien Interview

I saw this for the first time on a show called Mysteries, Magic and Miracles.  I'm not sure exactly how aliens fit in to any of those categories, but....whatever.  I remember watching this late at night and it absolutely freaked me the hell out.  As usual, a mystery former employee of Area 51 smuggled out some "evidence" of aliens that our government is keeping secret.  Their face is blacked out and digitized and their voice is altered to that goddamned creepy deep serial killer voice.  So already, you're kinda feeling a little on edge.  Then.....BAM!  They lay this video on you:


Is it fake?  Yeah, probably.....but that doesn't make it any less creepy!


#9)  Alien Autopsy

I remember when Fox used to show alien and UFO specials every other night.  The one that really stuck (I think for most people, including myself) was Alien Autopsy:  Fact of Fiction.  Hosted by Jonathan Frakes, this hour long special showed clips from what appeared to be an authentic autopsy of an alien creature recovered (allegedly) from the Roswell, NM crash in 1947.  I was completely riveted to my TV for 60 minutes and though, like most footage that's found its way into mainstream media, I'm sure it's probably an incredibly well executed fake, it doesn't make it any less disturbing.  Especially when they start to tinker with the poor dead alien's eyes.  BLECH!

Here is the uncut autopsy film.  Pleasant dreams!



#8)  Ancient Aliens - The Dyatlov Pass Incident

I enjoy Ancient Aliens quite a bit.  Sometimes they get a bit far fetched with their hypothesis (No....I seriously doubt that Albert Einstein was talking to aliens and I'm pretty sure that the Vikings didn't design Thor around an alien....but then again, I wasn't there, so who am I to say?) but sometimes they come up with some damn compelling evidence.  And sometimes they come up with some damn disturbing shit too....such as the episode that dealt with the connection between aliens and perceived "evil places" here on Earth.  One of the segments talked about the Dyatlov Pass Incident, in which 9 ski hikers died under extremely disturbing circumstances and their corpses were radioactive.  This really creeped me the hell out!



#7)   Alien Abduction Security Cam Video

An episode of The Paranormal Borderline (and I think it may have made rounds on other shows as well) that  allegedly shows a person being abducted by aliens and then returned two hours later.  Apparently Jonathan Frakes had the market on alien documentary shows in the late 90's early 2000's....because he once again takes us through the video, the usual panel of experts review the tape and confirm that it is, indeed, a compelling piece of evidence.  Compelling?  Yep.  Real?  I dunno.  Disturbing?  Oh yeah.



#6)  In Search Of........UFO Abductees

The thought of being taken against your will....or worse yet, having your will completely sapped away from you is a horrifying thought.  This episode hit all the hallmarks of what horrifies me about alien abductions....lost time, confusion, anal probes....okay....well maybe they don't mention that last one here...but still....I don't want no aliens giving me a colonoscopy, aight?  I don't know why, but these old shows like In Search Of really managed to hit an extremely creepy vibe that always stayed with me long after the show was over.



#5)  Sightings - Any UFO segment

This show used to wig me out, big time.  My older sister is two years older than me.  When she got to high school and joined the marching band, she went to all the football games on Friday nights (as marching bands are wont to do).  Any way, instead of dragging everyone out at nine or nine thirty at night to pick her up, my mother would leave me home to watch my baby sister (who was already in bed at that time).  Sightings would come on just as my mother was leaving, which left me to watch it alone.  Usually by the time that she and my sister were back, I was thoroughly freaked out but trying to play it cool.






#4)  The Betty & Barney Hill Abduction Case

I don't have a memory of a particular documentary or TV special for this one, but the case is extremely well known, especially to those of us here in New England, as the alleged abduction took place in the White Mountain region of New Hampshire (a place in which I have been camping MANY times.....and each time I can't help but thing about the Hill's abduction case).  In this case, the aliens seemed benevolent....but it still does not ease any of the dread I feel when I'm in the area....always looking tentatively to the skies.







#3)  Unsealed: Alien Files  - The Solway Firth Spaceman

Unsealed:  Alien Files is a show that (I think) heralds back to the good ol' days of Sightings and Unsolved Mysteries.  The combination of the deep voiced narrator with the creepy music creates a great kinda retro vibe to the show.  One of the creepiest episodes actually involved one of the more ridiculous cases.  The Solway Firth Spaceman.  Allegedly a spaceman appeared in a middle photo of a series of three of a five year old girl.  What was creepy was not so much the photos or the "spaceman", but the stories of the aborted missile launch and the MIB involvement.





#2)  Overlords of the UFO

I can't even begin to explain to you what it is about this documentary that gives me the chills.  If you are looking for a classic 70's creeptastic UFO documentary, you've come to the right place.  I'm just gonna let the documentary do the talking:





#1)  Travis Walton

If you watched the Overlords of the UFO documentary, then you probably know where I"m going for number one.  Also, I mentioned it all the way back at the beginning.  Travis Walton's case has been featured on just about every UFO/Alien show around.  So really you can take your pick on which one wigs you out the most.  I remember seeing this interview on 20/20.....I remember thinking that he must be legit if he's on 20/20!






No comments:

Post a Comment